Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Author Interview: Lia Fairchild

Earlier today I reviewed In Search of Lucy, the debut novel by Lia Fairchild.  Ms. Fairchild has taken the time to answer a few questions for us:

GJR:  A coming of age story can happen at any age, what inspired you to tell Lucy’s story?


Lia Fairchild (LF):  My first thought was that it would be an interesting story to have a character that seemingly had no reason to live, but suddenly was forced to go on. In this story, Lucy must carry one with a life she is unhappy with just so she can save her sister’s life. I also wanted to show that there are many people in the world that feel lost and alone, and won’t let others inside to show them how wrong they are.

GJR:  There were times when I was genuinely heartbroken for Lucy’s circumstances. I wanted to reach into the words, give her a hug and a cheeseburger. How do you detach yourself from writing a character like her? I imagine she stays with you long after you shut the laptop off for the day.

LF:  While writing the story I really tried to put myself in her position and see how she must be feeling. Even though Lucy, along with the other characters, was in my imagination, it still felt very real to me. There were times that I would be crying just reading back a chapter to myself.

GJR:  My favorite relationship of Lucy’s is with her sister. Do you have a sister? How did your relationship with her influence the relationship between Lucy and Katie?

LF:  I did not have a sister growing up, and I always wished I had a big family. Maybe that was part of my motivation. There were many times growing up that I felt alone and didn’t have anyone to talk to. I really could have used a sister.

GJR:  Anne was a hoot, happy without being annoying. Will we see more of her in the future?
LF:  At this point I really don’t know. There has always been a part of me that wants everyone to be part of me that wants everyone to be happy and get along. I think that’s what I was trying to do with Anne.

GJR:  What is the most difficult aspect of being an independent author?

LF:  The hardest part for me is not being able to write every day full-time. In this economy it seems like a lot of writers do other work to make ends meet. You also have to spend a lot of time marketing, doing other types of writing, basically finding ways to help people find your book. I actually enjoy that part, but it does take time away from actual writing.

GJR:  What are you working on now? Can you tell us the premise?

LF:  I love to laugh, which seems strange given my first book. So, my second book is going to be lots of fun. I don’t want to say too much at this point since I’m just getting started, but I can tell you it’s a romantic comedy set at a magazine.

GJR:  Who are your favorite authors?

LF:  I don’t really have favorites, but lately I have been enjoying Sophie Kinsella and Elin Hilderbrand. Like a lot of people, I just like to hear my friends’ recommendations and then get a book. However, the authors I really admire are those Indie authors that are out there without publishers and agents, working hard to share their books with the world.

GJR:  What are you currently reading?

LF:  I always have at least two or three books going at once. Right now I’m finishing up “Be Careful What You Wish For” which is a very cute and fun chicklit mystery and starting “Second Chances,” a romance with suspense. Next on my list is “Feathers” an Anthology of feel good stories.

GJR:  If you weren’t a writer, what would you be doing?

LF:  I’ve had quite a few career changes in my life, so that’s a good question. I love helping kids and already have my credential, so that’s a possibility. If I could paint, I’d do that.

GJR:  Something different: What makes you laugh, I mean serious from the gut laughing?

LF:  My daughter is hilarious. She is very different from other girls her age and sometimes she says something so creative or simply offbeat that will make me laugh so hard. I think it’s the makings of a great writer.

Thanks Ms. Fairchild.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Beth Hoffman said...

I really enjoyed this interview and I know the perfect person who would enjoy receiving this book as a gift!