Thursday, May 21, 2015

Julie's Review: Yes, Please!


Author: Amy Poehler
Series: None
Publication Date: June 24, 2014
Publisher: Harper Collins
Length: 7 Hours, 31 Minutes
Narrator(s): Amy Poehler, Seth Meyers, Carole Burnett, Kathleen Turner, etc
Obtained: purchased
Genre:  Memoir
Rating: 3.75/5
Bottom Line: Was hoping for more funny than I got
Grab, Just get it at the library, or Remove from your TBR list? Library
Summary: Amy Poehler is hosting a dinner party and you're invited! Welcome to the audiobook edition of Amy Poehler's Yes Please. The guest list is star-studded with vocal appearances from Carol Burnett, Seth Meyers, Michael Schur, Patrick Stewart, Kathleen Turner, and even Amy's parents - Yes Please is the ultimate audiobook extravaganza. Also included? A one-night-only live performance at Poehler's Upright Citizens Brigade Theater. Hear Amy read a chapter live in front of a young and attractive Los Angeles audience. While listening to Yes Please, you'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll become convinced that your phone is trying to kill you. Don't miss this collection of stories, thoughts, ideas, lists, and haikus from the mind of one of our most beloved entertainers. Offering Amy's thoughts on everything from her "too safe" childhood outside of Boston to her early days in New York City, her ideas about Hollywood and "the biz", the demon that looks back at all of us in the mirror, and her joy at being told she has a "face for wigs" - Yes Please is chock-full of words, and wisdom, to live by. ~audible.com  

Review: I adore Amy Poehler. I think she's funny and I think in a lot of ways she's continuing to pave the way in tv for females. She's also a huge advocate for positive images for young girls (see Smart Girls ). So, I was expecting a little more hilarity than what I got. That's not to say that it wasn't funny because it was but not the guttural laughing I expected.

I can't say that I'm surprised that at some point in Amy's life there was some drug usage. I was more amazed to learn that she doesn't even smoke dope when she writes. She needs her head clear when she writes.

I loved the various narrators along with Amy especially with Seth Meyers. Their chemistry is palpable even through the ear buds. Besides Tina Fey you can tell that they are best friends. I loved watching them together on SNL.

My favorite parts were the behind the scenes tidbits of SNL and Parks and Recreation. I love that the crew and cast of Parks and Recs called Rob Lowe "ROLO".

I liked hearing about her childhood and growing up in working class Boston.

I definitely will be keeping my eye on Amy and what she does now that Parks and Recs is over. I think she's very funny but I'm not sure if a memoir is the best use of her talents.


 Share/BookmarkGoogle+

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had a recent "thumbs up" on this one from a friend who is in high school (babysitter and avid reader). Thanks for the review ... :)

Brittney said...

Glad I'm not alone! I recently read this and found I had similar thoughts.